Inarca product catalogs
Brand new editorial project and data automation

Year: 2018
Inarca, product catalogs
Inarca, product catalogs
Inarca, product catalogs
Inarca, product catalogs
Inarca, product catalogs
Inarca, product catalogs
Inarca, product catalogs
Inarca, product catalogs
Inarca, product catalogs
Inarca, product catalogs
Inarca, product catalogs
Inarca, product catalogs
Inarca, product catalogs
Inarca, product catalogs
Inarca, product catalogs

As part of our continuous work for Inarca, we have been asked to redesign the whole line of product catalogs.

Inarca offers a vast number of products, and each one of them possesses many details and specifications that should be listed on the product sheet.

Until 2014, the company's practice was to manually assemble a gigantic 700-pages catalog, with the intent to reprint it every three or four years. Data were manually inserted, and the production costs were really exorbitant. In addition, human mistakes made before publishing were even too common.

Usually, this kind of project is a big challenge for a design studio, and it requests a huge amount of energies and control over the project, sometimes even draining out all the available resources. Nevertheless, we decided to take this risk and accept the challenge as a way to grow and find a new method to solve this design problem.

The first step in this process was to reorganize all the items into different product types. For this reason, we asked the company to rethink the logic of their archive. For this new catalog, it was important to focus on the target of a specific group of products and how often they should be updated. With this new organization, we defined 7 product types and groups, and we dedicated one catalog to each one of them, for a better way of updating and reprinting.

At a later phase, we divided the technical and editorial content from the product sheets. The latter has been developed in collaboration with xconnection. With a system of made by automated workflows and scripts, we created the final layout connecting a database and a modular prototype for a product sheet we designed. With this process, the content was automatically transferred and inserted into the expected design.
We are proud to have achieved several goals for this project: more efficiency in data organization, catalogs with higher readability, the possibility to make easy and fast updates, the ability to reprint more often and by section, lower costs of production, as well as an exponential decrease of incorrect data.